- Hits: 4622
Welcome to the website of the Edmund Rice movement. We are a loose network of organisations, groups and individuals across the world seeking to continue the spirit of Edmund Rice. As a young man, Edmund, with a group of friends, immersed in the world of work and family life, formed a little Gospel community active in the city of Waterford. They shared prayer and spiritual reading, and they combined this with active outreach to the destitute, street children, orphans, prisoners, slaves and immigrants.
Edmund Rice Mission focuses on the liberation of people and communities. Edmund Rice, inspired by Jesus, responded to the marginalised of his time. Today, living out of a new consciousness of the interconnection of all life, groups of people inspired by the story of Edmund's life form small communities that journey and converse together, stepping outside their comfort zones in respectful service. They seek to make a difference to the lives of marginalised people through compassionate presence and seeking mutual transformation. Edmund Rice Mission promotes human rights and fullness of life for all, especially those made poor. Our work is shaped by the Sustainable Development Goals
Our way into the future enables four integrated strategic priorities that build the capacity of people and communities through
- Compassionate Presence - We walk in solidarity with those with whom we live and work, especially those made poor.
- CommunityEngagement - We work together with local communities to identify priority needs and long term solutions. We build relationships for mutual transformation.
- Education - Building on our 200 years experience in education and schools, we liberate people through formal and informal quality education.
- Advocacy - We are active in advocating for human rights and the environment from the local through to the global, including through UN mechanisms.
The Way We Work:
- Presence - Being with
- Engagement - Respectful, active listening
- Collaboration - Working connectedly
- PrayerfulReflection - Transformation
- Celebration - Sharing and valuing
There are a diverse number of ways of becoming involved in the movement. Some men may wish to join the Christian Brothers, others are involved as participants in some of the groups which feature on this website. You may be looking to find a place to become a volunteer for a period of time, or you may be looking to help by becoming a partner in our developmentment and fundraising efforts. For more information follow the "Reaching out to help create a better world" button below.